jlpotocki’s Upgraded Yinlips YDPG-18 (A10 Chip) Review

jlpotocki has written Part 1 of his upgraded YDPG18 review (with more to come in the days to come!):

Okay I am going to break this review into 3 parts.  Part one is Specs, Battery Life, and what file formats I could use.  Part 2 is Emulation and Android Game performance.  Part 3 How am I getting the most out of it and final conclusions.  I plan to have it all complete by 2-21-12.  Right now I am spending most of my time right now getting ready to buy a car due to some ex-friends wrecking my other one.  My Goal for this year is to buy All the android gaming systems out there then testing them to see which one is the best in overall Value, Performance, and most importantly which one will give you the most bang for your buck.  because spending $100+ on anything you need to know was that money well spent.  At this time there are 3 main systems
Yinlips YDPG18  (two versions right now three in a few months from now.)
Avg. Price $135   (the future upgraded model $160)
JXD S7100       (two versions one with Captive Screen  one with Resistive Screen)
Avg. Price $150 (resistive screen)  $175 (captive screen)
JXD S601         (The cheapest of them all though it Resolution is that of a PSP)
Avg. Price $86
I have heard of some other ones but these stores that carry these "other brands" look sketchy at best So until I see them in more respectable stores I declaring these as the only ones around.
Now at this time I am NOT declaring this as the Upgraded model I am going to refer this model I got as a updated model, and I plan on ordering another one and hopefully it'll be the original model.
First I will go and talk about the specs of this model I got:
Phone Model: Crane_E001 (allwinner)
CPU: Allwinner Sun4i (A9 class*)  
*=now the CPU code name is for there A10, but this is not a A10 tough due to the fact that a A10 use a ARMv8 instruction set and this is using a ARMv7 instruction set.  
RAM: 512 Total System memory 315 MB System RAM and 197 System Storage (for OS files.)  I still can not find out if it's DDR2 or DDR3 without opening up the system.
Internal storage: 3GB (2.7GB actual storage)
GPU Mali-400
Screen: 5" Resistive Screen  800x480
It is a resistive screen that can do 2 point zoom but no true multi touch so it is pointless on games, but helpful on web browsing.
OS Android 2.3.4 (Code name: Gingerbread)
The analog stick and D-Pad on this device do not work independently.  oh well
Battery:  Unknown (at least without opening the system which I will not do until I by another one or if this one goes out.)
Now I need to point out some things about this system:
Market installed without a hitch.  I found out when I tried to run z4root that the system was already rooted.  Now Market has a issue tough.  anytime I go some areas of market (mostly apks that you have to pay for) the market will crash.  to bypass this just buy it from your computer then when you connect the Yinlips to wifi it'll install without a hitch.  Also due to it being listed as Crane_E001 there are a lot of programs that will not install from market due to them saying (unknown compatibility) even though after finding there apk on the internet and manually installing it.  the program worked beautifully or at least had a quirk or two.  oh and the games that I stated in the video as not being on the system were just simply not installed and were in the apk folder of the 4GB Micro SD card that that came with the system plus there were a lot more software available as well.  Now I waited to write this review until after I get a larger SD card so when I got a 16GB San Disk card.
Now the First Test was on battery life:
now in this test WIFI is always with Equalizer running in background on I'll update this review with WIFI always off and no running background program running later
Battery:
10 hours Music playing with 30 minutes of display on to change albums (MP3 OGG and FLAC files were used in testing)
Gaming with brightness at full  5 hours.  (except Plants vs. Zombies, GTA 3, and FPSE there time was 3.5)  now with emulation no matter the system exception the FSPE do not put much of a strain on the battery which is good.  I can even play angry birds for five hours with no problem for that long.  this is the same amount of time compare to my PSP Slim (with Custom Pro B-10 firmware)  So not too shabby I must say.
Video:  
5 hours 320p
4 hours on 480p (DVD quality)
3~3.5 hours HD 720p quality
2.5 hours 1080p
All depends on what codecs the file was encoded in.
In a nutshell these are still good compare to the "Big Game Companies"  and of course you can charge this by USB or Wall Mount.  when I finish the entire review I will add the times with out the wifi or background programs running.
File Playback types allowed:
Music:
APE, FLAC**, MP3, OGG, WAV, MP4, WMA
**= Some FLAC files I had actually caused the system to crash and reset itself.  So if you use FLAC make sure it's dose not have a single bit of corruption. this happened in every single music player apk I installed and even the one that came preinstalled.
Video:  AVI, RM, MP4, WMV, FLV, 3GP, MOV, MKV***
***= MKV will not work with software out of the box.  I could only get it to work with MXplayer through Software decoding only and will not work with HD quality MKVs and even some 480p quality depends on codecs that were used in the file.
One other thing about playing HD files I had Audio Sync trouble when using other Media player except for Meridian or the one that came with the system.  I actually prefer for this system the Meridian due to the fast forward and rewind control of the D-Pad without causing the onscreen menu to come up (that was always so freaking annoying especially cause you have to wait so long to get the blasted menu to go away and the fact that it has a resistive screen  it's really hard to go and skip just 30 sec. without jumping too far or to short.   okay enough ranting back to the review.
FLASH:
SWF through browser or install SWF player.  FLV 240p to 480p through browser up to 1080p through Media Player that is installed  the highest Flash version that I got to work was ver. 10.3 or earlier even though Flash 11 is preinstalled on the system.
That is all of part one......   my next update will be on 2-19-12 then the final on 2-21-12 (due to me going on vacation that week)

Comments

  1. A10 is a Cortex-A8 SOC; ARMv7 is the instruction set for all the recent Cortex CPUs.

    There are no processors released yet which run the ARMv8 instruction set (will be 64 bit)
    I think I'd rather have an A9 at 800mhz than an A8 at 1.2ghz

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dingoo A380 Review

Mancala for Dingux released (Mandingoo was released in 1975)

Idiot’s Guide to installing Dingux using Windows released

An interview with the creator of the Tauon PC-1, Volodymyr Mishin

How to show all your 17,083 c64 games from the c64 romset (archive.org) on the C64 Mini or C64 Maxi loader

Tauon PC-1 review

The Dingoo-Scene JXD S7800B (Rockchip 3188 SoC) Android Gaming Console Review

Dingoo representative at a320.freeforums.org !